Moving to a new state or a long distance away is stressful. It’s not easy to uproot your life and move to a new place. But Laborjack is here to help with some long-distance moving advice and provide you with some tips and tricks that will make your long distance move easier, less stressful, and more manageable.
Our Top 10 Tips for A Successful & Less Stressful Long Distance Move
We’ve helped a lot of people move, and during that time, we’ve come up with 10 helpful long distance moving tips that will make the process easier, simpler, and all around less stressful. Let’s get into it!
1. Make a plan ASAP – Planning a long distance move all starts with a moving date. There are a lot of moving parts that go into a move, so make sure you leave enough time between now and your moving date to sell your home, hire movers, change your address, pack your things, and more! Consider cost savings with PODs Storage Containers and ABF over traditional full service moving companies.
2. Start packing early – If you have the time, you should start packing at least a month in advance of your move. Start with rooms and items you don’t use often, such as basements, storage closets, camping gear, ect. As they say, every journey begins with a single step, so start slow and ramp up the packing as you move closer to your moving date!
3. Downsize your stuff – If you’ve lived in the same house for a while, it’s easy to accumulate a lot of things you don’t need. That bike with flat tires in the garage you never ride, sell it! That old mattress or couch in the basement that you never use, toss it! It’s important to consider the cost of transporting old items versus the cost of buying it new on the other side. Doing this will optimize the space you use and cut down your transportation costs!
4. Label each box & make an inventory – While you pack, make a note of everything that goes into each box, and label it accordingly. This helps you keep track of what goes where when you move into your new home.
Check out our other article with more advice about how to move to another state, with less stress, here.
5. Take care when packing boxes – Don’t overpack boxes. Use sturdy boxes and heavy-duty tape, and make sure to use air bladders, blankets, towels, packing peanuts, and other such packing materials to keep items from moving after they’re packed.
6. Pack an “open first” box – This box can contain things like clothes, a few pots and pans, bedding, and everything else you’ll need during your first night at your new home. This way, you don’t have to unpack a ton of stuff right after you move in.
7. File a change of address – File a USPS change of address before you move to your new home, and make a list of banks, insurance companies, and other institutions that will need to be updated with your new address.
8. Save money using gig economy movers – Using traditional movers can be extremely expensive. Utilizing gig economy platforms like Laborjack who will get your move done right and can save you hundreds of dollars is a great alternative. Don’t feel like driving a moving truck cross country? Pairing moving help with a shipping company like PODS takes all the hassle and stress out of moving while saving you money.
9. Move during the off-season – Summer is peak moving season. Using traditional movers during the off-season can save you some money and some stress. Unlike traditional movers, Laborjack offers affordable flat rates with no hidden fees year round and can provide you with high quality moving help any day of the week.
10. Figure out what to do with your car – If you’re driving your car to your new home, make sure it’s in good shape and has been properly maintained. Consider renting a car trailer and towing your car behind your moving truck. If you’re flying, there are many 3rd party tow sharing companies that allow you to share the price of towing with other cars.
Need Help With A Long Distance Move? Laborjack Is Here For You!
Need help with a long distance move? Hiring Laborjack takes the hassle and stress out of your move. If you’re ready to get started and hire a Laborjack near you, book a job today!